A BEACON OF HOPE guiding wooden sailing ships during the Golden Age of Sail 1830 – 1880 and steel-hulled steamers through to the 1970’s, the Walton Lighthouse is the last original lighthouse in Hants County.
This wooden structure was built by Timothy Parker in 1873 at a cost of $620. The base is 15 feet (4.6m) square. The tower height is 20 feet (6.1m) to the top deck upon which sits the house, containing the light. The lantern is 8 feet (2.4m) in height, elevated 60 feet (18.3m) above high water. The lower floor’s interior walls are finished with plaster while the walls on the second floor are sheathed with wood.
Walton Harbour was the second busiest port in Nova Scotia in the 1950’s. For nearly 100 years, its light guided ships into Walton port where they loaded cargoes of pulpwood, gypsum, or barite. Shipping declined in the 1970’s and the lighthouse was decommissioned. It was declared a heritage property in 1992.