Hants County was formed in 1781, made up of existing Townships of Windsor, Falmouth and Newport. In 1784 Rawdon and Douglas each became townships. Petite was part of Kempt Township which was created in 1824. The Township of Walton was created in 1856. The A F Church map of 1871 shows the addition of the townships of Maitland, Shubenacadie and Uniacke.